Monday, July 15, 2013

Welcome to this months Guest....... Joy Taylor

I was so very pleased that Joy agreed to join us this month as our guest designer.... I adore her work which often includes some sort of die cuts or embossing.

So without further ado I introduce you to Joy Taylor



 Tell us a little about yourself

I live in a small country town in Southern New South Wales, Australia with my partner Darryl and our baby the furry kind, Roly..we live in a cottage with a brick path and a lavender hedge, we both work and love to spend time at home, although I love to travel, I don't get to do that much, but when the opportunity arises I certainly enjoy my time.  I love to garden and cook, however, these days with all the fun crafting that I do, I don't indulge in those areas as much these days..as a child I loved to finger paint and craft so it was a given that I was destined to keep that side of my personality going through my life.  I have been fortunate that Darryl let me obtain one of the bedrooms in our house as my craft room and with the talent that he posses I have been one lucky gal to have all custom furniture built by him to suit my needs.
  • How long have you been a card maker/scrapper & when did you start?
I have been crafting as long as I can remember, but turned card maker about 20 years ago, visiting a craft show with my BFF and took a class, I was hooked and from there I never looked back.
  • Do you follow sketches or dive right in?
I am not generally one that will follow a sketch unless it is one that I have to follow for a challenge or guest designing, I am more one that just dives in at the deep end and come up with something by having all the supplies around me.
  • How many projects do you make a week?
This does vary for me, but generally I will create anything from 5-10 a week, especially when I have deadlines, but there are times when I create less, depending on what pops up in everyday life :)

  • What is your favourite tool (what can't you create without) & why?
My stamps would have to be my favourite tool, I love the endless possibilities, techniques and the way you can create your own style with stamps.
  • What at the moment is your most favourite thing to do on your project?
I love gold at the moment and followed by enamel dots, I just love the elegance gold brings to a card and have to stop myself from adding it to just about everything I create, the enamel dots I feel have taken over my obsession with bling, I love the matt feel to these and the fun touch it adds to a card.

  • How would you describe your style?
My style would definitely be clean and simple, I love to create using a lot of white space, I feel using this style I can complete cards relatively quick, but in saying that I do like to try different styles, but always gravitate back to the clean and simple.
  • What about your style would you change (or not) & why?
I don't think I would change my style, I am pretty much happy with where my creativity takes me and usually pretty happy with the results.

  • Have you been published or on a Design team - when & where?
I have been published, CARDS magazine really is my first publication that surprising to a lot of people just this past June, still have not received my copy as yet, but certainly going to frame that milestone :) as for design teams, Past - Purple Onion Designs, Tiffany Doodles, Jane's Doodles, Jay Gee's Nook, Basic Grey, Simon Says Stamp Challenge Team.  My current teams - Studio Calico, Simon Says Artist Group and I do work on and off for Hero Arts.  I am also a Colouring Friend for Tiddlyinks.
  • Describe (pictures are even better) your crafting area
My area, as I said before is a room that I occupy in our house, Darryl has built everything custom made for what my needs are, I tend to try and keep it clean, but there are times when seriously it just looks like a tornado has ripped through, currently, it looks like the end result to a childs party that has happened LOL.







(Who wouldn't just love this space to create in!)
  • Do you have a blog? If not where can we see more of your fabulous creations?
My blog is called Simple by Design, I have just recently changed the name and is currently in the process of being moved from blogger to Wordpress..so it is under construction some what.


And look at this great card Joy created using this image from our sponsor, Bugaboo.



Thank you so much Joy.  It's been a pleasure getting to know you a bit better.

Dawn and the Die Cut Divas


9 comments:

ThePurplePlace said...

Great interview with Joy, who is a designer I have always admired.

I am also now in LOVE with her fabulous craft space and totally love her desk set up. Love seeing all the wooden stamps right there and all her supplies so easily accessible.

So many idea for when I do my room over (some day)! Not to mention all the fantastic inspiration from Joy's art!

Thanks for a great share !

Arlene said...

Just like ThePurplePlace said...

I love the craft room and interview with Joy. So nice to get to know her. The furniture is a dream come true.

I love how Joy was hooked at her first craft show.

judkajudi said...

Joy is an inspiration to all of the rest of us!!! And her partner Daryl is an amazing carpenter!!!

jintyoo7 said...

Wonderful interview, Joy, and another
fabulous card! I am constantly inspired by your creativity and know that your design elements feature in my cards A LOT!

Thank you :)59

Cindy C. said...

Nice interview Joy! You have a great craft space!!

sheila said...

wonderful interview with Joy! I enjoyed getting to know her better. What a spectacular crafting room! Wow! I would love to have that space to work in.....so lovely!

sheila said...

wonderful interview with Joy! I enjoyed getting to know her better. What a spectacular crafting room! Wow! I would love to have that space to work in.....so lovely!

Karen L K said...

Very nice to learn about you Joy. You have a very nice space to work in and are so darn neat.

Judy Tuck said...

Great interview Joy. Kudos to your partner for contributing to your creativity.