Monday, August 17, 2015

Guest Designer Day

August welcomes our newest guest designer!

Lisa Babit is our guest designer for August, 2015.  
Welcome to Lisa!

How long have you been a papercrafter and when did you start?

I started scrapbooking in 1999 when my close friend asked me to host a Creative Memories demonstration at my house.  I was immediately hooked and began hosting monthly workshops.  I began scrapbooks for each of my four children (in the place of baby books) and am still working on them.  I began stamping and cardmaking more recently (March 2013), and that seems to take up more of my time now.


What is your favourite type of papercrafting, card making, scrapbooking, mixed media etc?

At the moment, cardmaking is probably my favorite.  I like that the projects are easy to finish. (I may never get caught up/finished with my kids' scrapbooks!) 

How would you describe your style?

One of the things I love about cardmaking is that each project is completely independent, and creating a card is the perfect opportunity to try new techniques.  I love watching tutorial videos and looking at other crafters' projects for inspiration.  As a result, I don't really have a specific style but try a variety of things.  I do tend to  like clean lines, layers (with mats, dies and/or embossed panels) and warm colors, but I am still searching for "my style."


Do you like to follow sketches, yours or others or do you dive right in?

I rarely follow sketches, but when I do I wonder why I don't do it more often!  


How often do you get to craft?

I am a stay-at-home mom with children who are now in college and high school (with tons of afterschool sports and activities).  With fewer opportunities to volunteer at their school during the day, my days are pretty free while my afternoons and evenings are crazy busy.  When I'm feeling creative, I may be in my craft room every day of the week for hours.  And if I'm struggling with ideas, I may not get in there at all in a week.  (Of course I have to work around getting stuff done around the house!)Even when I am not actually crafting though, I am always thinking about ideas  and stop by my computer quite often to check out what is new and what others are doing.


What is your favourite tool(what can’t you create without) and why?

This is a hard question to answer.  I am addicted to papercrafting tools and supplies and LOVE them all!  It's really hard for me to watch a tutorial video and not rush out to get the tools and supplies I need to try it out.  If I had to pick my favorite  at the moment, I'd have to say it is my MISTI.  It has made stamping so much easier which means less "do overs" and being able to focus on the more complicated parts of a project.


What is your favourite technique?

I sponge and ink on most projects, so I guess that would be considered a favorite.  I have a lot of techniques I love, though.


What at the moment is your most favourite thing to do on a project?

I like inking my edges to give my project a more finished look, and while I am not a huge ribbon fan, I like adding a touch of jute, twine or raffia to my projects as a simple, rustic embellishment.

Have you been published or are you on a Design Team, when and where?

I am currently on the design team over at Perfectly Rustics.

Describe or if possible supply pictures of your crafting area?

I had to pop a photo in so you could catch a glimpse of this fabulous craft room.  You have to visit the blog
craft room view a

I have photos of my craft room on my blog (HERE).

Do you have a blog? If not where can we see more of your fabulous creations?


Thank you for telling us about yourself, we loved getting to know you.

1 comment:

Arlene said...

I loved visiting your blog and seeing your great storage ideas. It was totally fun.